Dr. and Mrs. William F. Arey Jr. Distinguished Professorship
The Dr. and Mrs. William F. Arey Jr. Distinguished Professorship was established by Maurine N. Arey of Baton Rouge, La., with the goal of providing flexibility to the department of chemistry to recruit or retain a distinguished teacher and scholar to the department. Her husband, William F. Arey Jr., received his Ph.D. in chemistry from Carolina in 1943. Originally conceived as an endowment fund, Mrs. Arey named the university as beneficiary of her individual retirement account and directed that the fund could become a distinguished professorship if it qualified for a state matching gift. Upon her death in 2003, the Arey Distinguished Professorship was established.
Dr. and Mrs. William F. Arey Jr. Distinguished Professor
2005 – Present: Thomas Meyer