The largest construction project in University history, the Carolina Physical Science Complex included the construction of Max C. Chapman Jr. Hall, the W. Lowry and Susan S. Caudill Laboratories, the Frederick P. Brooks Jr. Computer Science Building, Venable Hall (replacing the original Venable Hall completed in 1925) and Murray Hall (named for Dr. Royce Murray, Kenan Professor of chemistry). The complex includes nearly half a million square feet of current, expanded and new space, with a combined physical sciences library, open spaces to promote cross-disciplinary collaboration and walkways connecting the facilities.
The space houses the departments of applied physical sciences, chemistry, computer science, marine sciences, mathematics, and physics and astronomy in the College of Arts and Sciences, as well as the Institute for Advanced Materials, Nanoscience and Technology.
The $250 million project, begun in 2004, included more than $22 million in private gifts, which the Arts and Sciences Foundation helped the University raise during the Carolina First Campaign. Other funding sources included $90 million of bond money from the 2000 Higher Education Bond Referendum and more than $90 million in facilities and administration receipts generated by University faculty.