Congratulations to the 12 faculty who were recently appointed distinguished professors or distinguished term professors in the College of Arts & Sciences. Their new appointments take effect July 1.
“Our outstanding scholars and teachers in the College are among Carolina’s greatest assets,” said Dean Terry Rhodes. “Through their commitment and creativity, they inspire our students, lead groundbreaking research initiatives and provide greater understanding on key issues for the people of North Carolina and beyond. We are delighted that they have been awarded these top honors.”
The 2020 distinguished professors appointed by the Dean’s office are:
- Mark J. C. Crescenzi, department of political science, Nancy Hanes White Distinguished Professor.
- María DeGuzmán, department of English and comparative literature, Eugene H. Falk Distinguished Professor.
- Jillian L. Dempsey, department of chemistry, Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Term Professor.
- Jinsong Huang, department of applied physical sciences, Louis D. Rubin Jr. Distinguished Professor.
- Deborah J. Jones, department of psychology and neuroscience, Zachary Smith Distinguished Term Professor.
- Mark Katz, department of music, John P. Barker Distinguished Professor.
- Jason L. Metcalfe, department of mathematics, Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Term Professor.
- Andrew B. Nobel, department of statistics and operations research, Robert Paul Ziff Distinguished Professor.
- Darin A. Padua, department of exercise and sport science, Joseph Curtis Sloane Distinguished Professor.
- Lisa D. Pearce, department of sociology, Zachary Smith Distinguished Term Professor.
- Diego A. Riveros-Iregui, department of geography, Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Term Professor.
- Tanya L. Shields, department of women’s and gender studies, Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Term Professor.