Skip to main content

South Building from Polk Place

Please note: Please note that this new course drop policy is for College of Arts & Sciences undergraduates only; professional students and undergraduate students in professional programs will follow guidance from their professional school dean. The Graduate School’s existing course drop processes will remain in effect; later deadlines are already in place to support graduate students with course drops with no special grading needed.

For questions about the revised pass/fail policy for spring and summer 2020, please visit this FAQ.


I am thinking about dropping a course in Spring 2020. What should I do?

Academic advisors are available to discuss your options (e.g., pass/fail grading option vs course drop option) and to help you make the right decision in terms of your progress towards degree. We strongly encourage you to make an appointment. 

What is the deadline and process for dropping a course in Spring 2020?

You have until Friday, May 8, 2020, to drop a course. Use this link to initiate a course drop request form. Please note that this is different from the pass/fail extended deadline, which is Friday, Aug. 7, 2020.

Is there a limit on how many courses I can drop in Spring 2020?

Yes. If you are a full-time student, you must continue to be enrolled in at least nine (9) hours. For example, if you are currently enrolled in 12 hours, you may drop a three-credit course, placing you at nine (9) hours after the drop.

Please note: if you are an international student in F-1 or J-1 status, dropping below 12 hours could jeopardize your immigration status.

I am a full-time graduate student in the College. May I drop a course?

Please consult the Graduate School for policies that apply to you.

I am a full-time undergraduate student in a professional school. May I drop a course?

Please contact your advisor/dean in the professional school to determine policies that apply to you, even if it is a course outside of your professional school (e.g., a Gen Ed course, an elective). We encourage you to discuss this decision with your professional school advisor even if you are also majoring or minoring in the College.

May I drop an undergraduate course that is offered in a professional school?

Yes. If you are an undergraduate, full-time degree-seeking student in the College, this policy applies to all undergraduate courses that you are taking in Spring 2020, including those that are offered in the professional schools (e.g., MEJO, BUSI, EDUC).

If I am a full-time undergraduate student in the College, may I drop a graduate course (e.g., 700-, 800-level)?


What will appear on my UNC transcript if I decide to drop a course in Spring 2020?

The notation “WCV” will appear on your transcript for Spring 2020 courses that are dropped after March 8, 2020. The notation stands for withdraw due to the CV-19 pandemic. For courses that are dropped, the grades will not be included in the GPA calculation, will not count toward credit earned, will not satisfy graduation requirements, and will not be counted as attempted hours for academic eligibility and financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

What happens if I already withdrew from a Spring 2020 course earlier in the semester?

The “W” grades for undergraduate students in the College who dropped courses after March 8, 2020, will automatically be replaced with “WCV” grades. In addition, courses withdrawn after March 3 will not count toward the18-hour limit of WC (withdrawal by student choice) over the course of a student’s academic career.

I am a part-time degree seeking student. May I drop a course?

No. Please consult your academic advisor.

What is the difference between a CV designation and a WCV designation?

A grade of CV is a temporary grade option to reflect incomplete classwork as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This option is in lieu of an IN grade, does not factor into the GPA, does not count toward earned credit hours, and the deadline to replace the temporary grade with a permanent grade is extended 3 months beyond the typical IN deadline (i.e., Jan. 12, 2021). If the temporary CV grade is not replaced with a permanent grade by the extended deadline, it will lapse to an F*.  Instructors and students should be in agreement on requirements to complete the class before the CV grade is assigned.


If you don’t see the answer to your question on this list, please contact your academic advisor.

Comments are closed.