The winter graduate used funding from her Robinson Fellowship and skills she learned through her history coursework to study honeybees in the U.K.

Jordan Mundy in her graduation gown in front of the Old Well
“It’s a sweet reminder that even though I’m graduating soon, I will always be a Tar Heel,” says senior Jordan Mundy of seeing Tar Heels from all walks of life stop by the Old Well from her window in Old East. (photo by Jess Abel)

“I have always loved learning about the past, so studying history at the university level has been amazing,” said senior Jordan Mundy.  

Mundy, who has a double major in history and political science, has always been passionate about exploring the world by looking back in time, but Carolina’s professors have made her interests “come alive.” 

“It is so hard to pick a favorite class because each course has been so interesting and expands my understanding of history,” she said. 

One of those classes was “Medieval England.” Taught by Marcus Bull, Andrew W. Mellon Distinguished Professor of Medieval and Early Modern Studies, the class helped Mundy grow as a historian and in her skills as a writer and researcher. 

After taking the class, she would classify herself as a medievalist, she said. 

Mundy’s time at Carolina also allowed her to explore present-day England through another one of her passions: beekeeping.  

Beekeeping has been passed down in my family for generations. My grandfather was even a master beekeeper,” shared Mundy, who helps care for the hives atop the FedEx Global Education Center as a member of the Carolina Beekeeping Club. 

To more deeply explore the field of beekeeping, Mundy applied for a 2023 Robinson Fellowship — a summer program focused on the culture and history of Europe and the Mediterranean — through Honors Carolina. 

Her award led her to the U.K., a historical hub for honeybees.

Jordan wears a white beekeeping suit and holds a bee hive.

“Studying historical beekeeping in the U.K. not only allowed me to be a part of a centuries-long study of pollinators, it also helped me to foster a dialogue between the U.S. and U.K. on protecting these invaluable insects,” she said. 

One of her favorite experiences over the summer was her work with the London Beekeepers’ Association to inspect the hives at the Battersea Park Children’s Zoo. 

“The kids were fascinated by all the honeybees, and I loved educating them about pollinators,” said Mundy, who remembers handing out the extra honeycomb to captivated audience members. 

“It was a very special moment and proof that bees have the power to bring people together — across age groups and oceans.” 

Though she’ll turn her tassel on Dec. 17 as a winter graduate, Mundy’s time at Carolina will stay with her forever. When she thinks of her favorite memories of being a Tar Heel, her time living in Old East overlooking the Old Well comes to mind. 

“I have so many fond memories of looking out my window while studying to watch people stop by the Old Well and take photos for weddings, first birthdays and, of course, graduations,” she said.  

“It’s a sweet reminder that even though I’m graduating soon, I will always be a Tar Heel.” 

By Jess Abel, College of Arts and Sciences

This story was originally posted as part of “College Up Close.” Follow us on Instagram to meet more “Tar Heels of the Week.”