Anthony Ciano used his time at UNC to prepare for a career in healthcare, including working as a campus EMT and volunteering as a medical interpreter.

Anthony tosses his cap for a graduation photo at the Old Well
“My time at Carolina has been transformative,” said Ciano, who will graduate with degrees in Latin American studies and biology on May 11, 2024. (photo courtesy of Anthony Ciano)

“I knew choosing Latin American studies would provide me with a comprehensive understanding of the diverse range of the cultures and perspectives of the region, as well the opportunity to connect with my Latin American heritage,” said senior Anthony Ciano. 

Ciano had already planned to study Spanish during his time at Carolina but said that studying in Cuba sparked his desire to more deeply understand the people and cultures of Latin America.  

His Latin American studies major has allowed him to do just that.   

“Picking a favorite among all the LTAM classes is a bit of a challenge because, truly, I’ve enjoyed them all,” he said.  

In his capstone seminar, taught by Gabriela Valdivia, professor of geography, Ciano researched the “intersection of health and migration, specifically looking at how Latinidad impacts health and health outcomes in North Carolina,” he said, adding that the research is in the process of getting published in an academic journal.  

The topic was of personal and professional interest.  

Ciano, who has a second major in biology, works as an on-campus EMT and medical assistant at Campus Health through Campus EMS. He plans to work full time as an EMT in Charlotte after graduating in May.  

“Responding to calls and assisting fellow students during medical crises is uniquely rewarding,” he said. “Collaborating with the other student EMTs has also been invaluable for my growth as a provider.”  

Ciano said that the link between his majors might not be “immediately evident,” but for his goal of attending medical school, it couldn’t be a better combination.  

“I felt it was natural to merge my passions during my time at Carolina. While biology lays the groundwork for my career, I’ve also delved into research on Latin American infectious diseases at the UNC School of Medicine.”  

From gaining confidence and expertise as an EMT to exploring interests in medicine, Latin American culture and Spanish interpretation, Ciano said his time at Carolina has been “transformative.”  

“These diverse opportunities that I have been given have undoubtedly prepared me for the journey ahead and shaped my future trajectory.”

By Jess Abel ’19

This story was originally written as part of our series, College Up Close.